*** Update to original post*** This recipe was selected as a semi-finalist in the Reser’s potato salad contest. There were over 600 entries, so hopefully that will help convince you to try it! If you have time, I would very much appreciate a vote so that I can hopefully advance to finals in Las Vegas! You can vote here, once per day until August 31st. Thank you!
Potato salad is one of those dishes that can go either way for me at barbecues. Sometimes it will be the star of my plate, full of creamy, mustard flavor and all sorts of vegetables, then other times it is just kind of bleh, with not a lot going on.
Regardless, I always make sure to get a few large spoonfuls of the popular side whenever it is available. I can’t help it. I love it! Back when I refused to eat coleslaw, baked beans and potato salad were my saving grace at barbecues. Plus, I always enjoy dipping my Texas toast in any extra potato salad dressing, creating a makeshift sandwich.
And now I’m craving barbecue. Fantastic.
The other night I was dreaming up all sorts of different potato salad recipes for Reser’s potato salad contest, when I suddenly realized that my favorite type of potato, the sweet potato, hadn’t even crossed my mind.
Now I know you may be thinking that a sweet potato salad may be a little un-traditional. Maybe not quite worthy of the “America’s Best Potato Salad” title. But give it a chance.
I promise it is more than worth your consideration.
And once you actually make it, you’ll be totally second guessing that whole “not worthy” thing.
Yup, you’ll be singing a different tune. And potato salad will never be the same.
Did you know that mango and sweet potatoes were meant for each other? Because before last night, I certainly didn’t. I hadn’t the faintest idea that these two were bff’s. And Wes sure thought I was a bit loopy when I told him to brace himself for the ultimate potato salad.
Brace himself he did. He fully embraced this match up, and commented over and over… and over… about how this unexpected combination was surprisingly perfect together. Knew it all along, I told him.
Except I really didn’t. I’ve really been working on my poker face.
No mayo here, just a simple lime dressing that you’ll want to throw on all of your summer vegetables.
My heavens it was good. Trust me friends. You are going to want to try this.
|Sweet Potato Mango Salad||
- For the potatoes:
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes, chopped
- Cooking Spray
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper pepper
- For the salad:
- 2 Large Mangos, peeled and chopped
- 2 small Serrano pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup red onion, chopped
- ¾ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 shallot clove, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- For the Dressing:
- Juice from two large limes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange cubed sweet potatoes on a cooking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are easy to cut through.
- While potatoes are roasting, peel and chop the mangos into small chunks. Place in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, add Serrano peppers, onion, cilantro, and shallot. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped. Stir mixture into the bowl with mangos.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing (lime juice, olive oil, agave nectar, sugar, salt, and pepper). Let sit.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. Add to the mango mixture. Pour dressing over top and stir together. Garnish with avocados. You can serve the salad warm or cold. It is delicious either way. Enjoy!