Ya’ll. One of the best soups that has ever come out of my kitchen happened earlier this week.
It also happened to be one of the ugliest, but that is neither here nor there.
The flavor was just so incredible. There was lots of heat from the three different peppers I used, but also a mild lime flavor from the tomatillos that helped to balance the heat. Gosh it was delicious.
And I finally got to test out the strength of the all-mighty Vitamix.
It did not let me down.
I piled peppers, bell peppers, cilantro, tomatillos, and garlic into that thing and it had it completely pureed within 5 seconds. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with it. So, if you are a gift-buyer without a budget, I highly recommend the Vitamix as a top gift for any food lover.
I really am sorry for the way the soup looks. I know everyone says you eat with your eyes first, but just go into this one blindfolded. The flavor is so worth the ugliness. And if you are not into spice, you can totally reel in the number of pepper you use. We tend to over-flavor/over-spice in our house, so I know the recipe might be a bit much for some.
The chicken almost shreds itself after the oven works its magic on it. Everything is so tender and just full of flavor.
Favorite. Soup. Ever. Let me know if you try it out!
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into chunks, seasoned with s&p
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into chunks, seasoned with s&p
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 5 tomatillos, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, halved
- 2 jalepenos
- 1 anaheim pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- Handful cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 15 ounce can corn
- 15 ounce can white beans
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven, saute chicken pieces in olive oil for about 8 minutes. Add in onion and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, put tomatillos, bell pepper, jalepeno, anaheim pepper, serrano pepper, cilantro, garlic cloves, and chicken stock in your Vitamix or large blender. Pulse until pureed.
- Pour tomatillo mixture into the dutch oven. Add corn, beans, and spices. Place in oven and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from oven, add chopped potatoes, and place back into oven to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and cheese.