Somedays I come home from work with an absolute voracious desire to bake.
I know voracious sounds pretty intense, but trust me, it is one of the most appropriate ways to describe it. I start to imagine the way butter and sugar looks when creamed together on my drive home. And by the time I walk through my door, it’s all I can do to not run my finger through the butter dish then proceed to dip it into the sugar jar.
This may or may not have happened once.
There are some secrets I should keep to myself.
But everyone who shares my love for baking has to know what I”m talking about. However most people have a little more control than me.
The other day way I came home with the incredible urge to bake I decided to try a recipe I had been eyeing for a while.
How Sweet It Is had another winner with her whole wheat banana bread snack cake. I only made a few slight modifications based on what I had around in my kitchen.
Plus this is a cake you can definitely feel good about. Whole wheat! Nothing healthier than that right?
You don’t have to answer that.
I left mine a little gooey on the inside because, well, that’s just how I like things. A little gooey and covered in dark chocolate… the old standby. You just can’t go wrong with that combo!
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 pan by spraying with cooking spray or using parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg and sugar using a mixer. Once smooth, mix in vanilla extract and banana. Beat until combined and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until combined. Pour in chocolate chips, butter, and applesauce.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 18 minutes.