It’s no secret that lemon is one of my favorite ingredients. In my mind, nothing beats a salad that has been dressed with salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil, and a whole lot of fresh lemon juice.
The other day, I found a recipe for Spinach Lemon Orzo Soup on Tasty Kitchen and thought it sounded absolutely divine. But, it is about 100 degrees every day here in Dallas. Things don’t start cooling down until around midnight.
Soup, unfortunately, is out of the question. It will probably remain out of the question until at least October.
But using that recipe as my inspiration, I came up with a quick and easy, and I think pretty healthy, spinach & lemon chicken orzo.
This literally took about 20 minutes to throw together. It did use three different pans, but other than that, was simple.
I grated a little lemon zest on top afterwards, but that is totally optional. It will add a little extra punch of lemon flavor.
You could also choose to add on some grated parmesan or asiago. I think that would also be delightful. Sadly, I didn’t have any, so this dish was cheese-less.
I just love fresh and simple weeknight meals. This is one I’ll be holding on too.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 lemon, juice
- 3 tbsp Lea & Perrin's chicken marinade
- 1 cup Orzo
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ½ jalepeno, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Juice from one lemon
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning blend
- Pour all ingredients over chicken and let marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Using a grill pan over medium high heat, cook chicken breasts, about 6 minute per side, or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the orzo. Bring chicken stock to a boil, then add in orzo.
- Return to a boil, then let simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate large skillet, warm olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalepeno, and celery. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach to the skillet and let simmer with other ingredients.
- Once chicken and orzo are cooked, add to the skillet and stir together cooking over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add in lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic salt, pepper, and italian seasoning blend. Adjust spices to taste and serve.