Sorry folks. I don’t really have much to report here. I’ve been sick off and on this weekend and I still haven’t quite been able to shake it.
I do however have a new-ish recipe for you.
This is one I came up with last week for one of our “block parties.”
We call them “block parties,” but in reality it is probably nothing like a block party. Townhome living doesn’t give you all that much room for congregating with the neighbors in an outdoor space. Instead, we set up collapsable chairs, a white table, and hang out on our driveway/alley. The dogs run free and have a great time.
You’ve got to work with what you’ve got. And for right now, we definitely don’t have space. Regardless, everyone has fun and the food is always awesome.
This recipe is kind of a hybrid. I took the strawberry pie I wrote about a few weeks ago, nixed the chocolate, and added a shortbread crust and crumble topping. It was not an easy thing to take pictures of because it falls apart easily, but it was too good to not share.
Summer is going to come to an end too soon. Take advantage of all these fresh summer berries while you can! I am still in shock that the year is more than half over.
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp ice cold butter
- 4 cups strawberries, rinsed and chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¾ cup quick oats or old fashioned
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, add in flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Pulse until crumbs form.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8×8 greased pyrex. Bake crust for about 15 minutes until it is a light golden brown. Remove crust from oven.
- For the filling: Combine berries, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and corn starch. Stir together and pour over top the warm shortbread crust.
- For the crumble: In a large food processor, add all ingredients for the crisp. Pulse until combined and crumbly.
- Pour crumbs over top of strawberries.
- Bake for 45 minutes.