Since things are finally starting to slow down, I am back in the kitchen making regular meals again. It feels so great to be doing what I love! And it doesn’t hurt that most of the meals I make are pretty healthy. Unfortunately “stick to your ribs” kind of meals aren’t exactly something I should be indulging in anytime soon.
There will still be lots of sugar though. I just can’t give up my desserts!
I picked up a spaghetti squash on the weekly grocery trip this week and was ready to use it yesterday. Dinner had to be a quick one because I didn’t get home from the gym until around 8pm. I love yoga classes, but they sure take a long time! On the honeymoon, we were eating meals around 6 or 7 most nights. I really liked that schedule, but unfortunately Wes’ work schedule just doesn’t allow for normal eating times. Plus we both work out at night, so our evening hours are limited. Do you work out in the mornings? I need to try and convince Wes that we should both get on a morning schedule so we have more time at night.
So I used to be pretty scared of spaghetti squash. I had no idea how you were supposed to cook it, let alone cut into it. However I got over my fear a few years ago, and now I look forward to it every fall. I just cook mine in the microwave. I really don’t notice a huge difference between that and the oven, especially when it is covered in spaghetti squash.
Just prick the squash all over with a knife, then microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Use oven mitts when getting it out. It will be very, very hot! Slice it in half, scoop out the insides, then use a fork to run over the “meat” of the squash. Little noodle like strands will form.
I like to sprinkle a little salt and pepper and butter over the strands and have a little snack of it while the sauce cooks. It really is delicious. I combine it with noodles for Wes, but really noodles aren’t necessary.
Last night I was a bit lazy and didn’t make my spaghetti sauce from scratch. I just dolled up a jarred version I had in the pantry. It’s amazing what the addition of a few fresh spices and chopped veggies can do for a sauce!
What do you like to do with your spaghetti squash? I might try making a “pasta bake” with it sometime soon. It is delicious!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, pricked all over
- 16 ounces ground turkey, extra lean
- 1 jar your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Place spaghetti squash in microwave and let cook for ten minutes. Let cool. Slice in half, scoop out seeds, and use a fork to tear away strands.
- Meanwhile, saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, roma tomatoes zucchini, bell pepper and carrot in olive oil over medium high heat in an extra large skillet. Let cook about 5 minutes.
- Add in turkey meat, cook for 8 minutes. Pour in spaghetti sauce, thyme, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve sauce over spaghetti squash.