I promise this has not become the book review blog. Although I do a lot of reading, I still like to make (and talk!) about food. Recently we have been doing a lot of repeat or “freezer find” meals. It seems every year I freeze huge pots of soup, chili, roasts, etc and they always go uneaten. Well… not this year!
Wes and I have been working our way through the freezer, one plastic tupperware container at a time. It is amazing how good some of the stuff is that gets tossed in the deep freeze. It has definitely been a lifesaver these last few weeks while I’ve been working two jobs at my real job, then also trying to grow Pie Flutin’ (which is now an official LLC by the way!).
But, something the freezer finds have not helped with is using up the plethora of fresh lemons we have. I brought back a ton of meyers from the valley, and then a recent trip to The Woodlands supplied us with about 50 more! (Thank you Aunt Bernice!) I can’t stand the thought of these going to waste, so I’ve been working up all sorts of recipes with lemon. Thankfully the latest issue of Southern Living had a whole section with new lemon recipes to try. I’m slowly working my way through that.
One of my favorite lemon dishes so far was this super easy lemon chicken.
It was fresh, packed with flavor, and pretty healthy. Triple win!
Wes even managed to choke down the whole wheat pasta I buried underneath it because it was covered in this delish lemon sauce.
Does anyone have a husband that doesn’t complain about whole wheat pasta? I honestly do not even notice that much of a difference, but Wes can pick it out a mile away. He eats it with minimal complaints, but I know he would rather have the regular stuff.
Can’t win them all huh?
Give this lemon chicken a try on a busy weeknight. You will love it!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
- ½ cup white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoonsdried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups prepared pasta
- 1 lemon, chopped into slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Warm olive oil and garlic in a small sauce pan. Cook about one minute.
- Add wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chopped chicken pieces and add to a 8x8 pyrex dish. Add in chopped carrots as well. Pour sauce over top. Place chopped lemon slices on top and underneath the chicken. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Serve over top pasta. Garnish with fresh parmesan.